Gardening Tips for Winter
Here are some tips to keep your garden in good health during the winter months…
– Prune roses at any time from now until early Spring
– Rake lawns to remove dead grass and fallen leaves.
– After a frost, try to stay off the grass as treading on the lawn in these conditions can damage the grass.
– Brush up the rest of the leaves and add to your compost heap.
– Remove leaves from rock gardens. If left, they retain moisture around plants and encourage stems and leaves to decay.
– Put out feeders for birds, not forgetting fresh water. Encouraging birds into the garden will help reduce the number of insects and slugs.
– Keep checking the weather forecast! Cover tender shrubs which are likely to be damaged by frost with garden fleece, sacking or an old light blanket.
– Continue pruning your fruit trees through December and January.
– Seeds to sow in January include Snapdragons, Alyssum, Lobelia and Daisies.